News

University of Sheffield to tackle the future of rail as part of £92 million UK research partnership

TICS In Targoviste

Research Associate Opportunity in IM

Events

TICS In Targoviste

Next Generation Rail 2017 @ The University of Sheffield – 27/28th June 2017

The future of IM is in safe hands

TUOS students undertake summer internships with TICS partner Transport Systems Catapult

TransportCatapultlogo

Two students from the University of Sheffield undertook successful internships with TICS project partner, the Transport Systems Catapult, during Summer 2015. Below the interns report back on their activities during their time at TSC.

T Wray Edited

Timothy Wray – Fourth Year Theoretical Physics Undergraduate

“The internship was setup by the White Rose Industrial Physics Academy, a scheme which aims to find internship opportunities for physics students in industry and simplify the process of applying to them. .

The majority of my time at Transport Systems Catapult was spent doing market research, with the lion’s share of that focused on value chain analysis of UK & global transport industries, along with studying their future. This consisted largely of literature review but also primary research of companies’ capabilities.

I sat in on several meetings, among them a meeting with IBM’s CFO and a new professional social media start up, whose launch event will be in partnership with the TSC. I have also taken part in alpha testing for the new social media platform.

I certainly learned a lot and got an opportunity to develop skills that are mostly outside what I do as a theoretical physics student. It was rewarding to work with, talk to and learn from people who are at the cutting edge of transport technology, trying to map out the likely future of transportation, a monumental but fascinating task. I  definitely now know more than I ever expected to about the rail industry.”

H Morgan Edited

Harry Morgan – 4th Year Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate

“My internship was within the Technology Department of TSC where I worked as a researcher for the Technology Strategy paper. This paper detailed the industry shift from Transport Systems to Intelligent Mobility; with a view to the changes business models have made in the industry. One of the causes behind this shift  is how technology is becoming increasingly involved with making transportation in all forms in the world easier and more customer friendly.

I began with researching widely known successful companies, such as Google and Uber, to see how their business models have made them successful. In my first week of 6 at TSC, I analysed how large companies such as these make their money by looking at the specific parts of business models, which have been changing in the industry.

In the later weeks I compiled information from journals and news reports of smaller companies that are starting to use similar business models such as UbiGo and RelayRides. This information, along with discovering world cities that are leading innovation in Intelligent Mobility, was used to explain the changes business models have made for inclusion within the Technology Strategy paper. The paper detailed overall where the potential gaps in the market are within the UK for innovation to be used, and what barriers intelligent mobility currently faces.

This was the second summer in a row in which I interned with  TSC. The work I did both years has been very interesting and allowed me to gain a lot of experience.  I was clearly shown how the work I was doing would affect the department and TSC. I enjoyed working at a smaller organisation of approximately 150 employees, my department I had 15 people so I certainly felt like I was part of a team working toward the same goal. The tasks given to me were very different to school and university work that I have done previously. They were much more business focused in contrast to my degree which is more technical,  this gave me the opportunity to think more broadly. TSC was a great organisation to work for as they are highly innovative and focused on helping young professionals achieve and develop.”